Emi just started kindergarten last week, and so far, she's having a little bit of trouble adjusting to her new surroundings and schedule, hence I have aged 10 years in the process just fruitlessly fretting to myself. Seeing Emi's answers to the Proust Questionnaire when she was three just made me smile, however. The world needs spirits like hers.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
2. What is your greatest fear?
5: [Whispers] Monsters.
3: [Quietly] The green man.
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? (explained as anything bad she does)
5: Hitting my mom.
4: Pick my nose and kick my friends
3: The green children.
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5: Bumping into me.
4: Kick me and doesn't like me.
3: I don't like hamburgers.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
4: Maggie and Rosie and Cheep Cheep and Mommy.
3: K--! [a classmate at school]
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind? (explained as how do you feel right now)
4: This is boring. [I asked, "So do you want me to stop?"] No.
3: Sad. I wanna go to my school!
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
5: Playing, because some of the playing is boring. Like Tic-Tac-Toe. You do it so slow.
4: Castles, because there's princesses in there. Sometimes Snow White. She goes with the seven dwarves.
3: Good night time.
9. On what occasion do you lie?
4: When you getting angry at me.
3: About crows.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
5: My sticky fingers.
4: That I'm having the wrong haircut. It should be long.
3: (explained as what don't you like on your body) Medicine! Yuck!
11. Which living person do you most despise?
5: The king. Because they just sit on a throne for days and days.
4: My house. I'm just pretending it's alive.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
5: Taking care of me.
4: His body. His body is from God.
3: Angry like Sophie!
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
5: Playing with me.
4: Eyebrows and eyeballs. Because I love womans!
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
5: Unicorn and bumblebee.
4: My family, my dog, my chickens, and my house.
3: Red! Climbing the bed! Sorry! [I think the last one was because she actually fell on top of me as she climbed the bed]
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
4: Mommy, but not YOU, Daddy.
3: I--! [her best (girl) friend at school]
16. When and where were you happiest?
5: Restaurants! Because I love them!
4: Mom, Dad, Brother, and me, and my dog and my chickens. When we are all together. Remember when I got lost when Mom left? I was so sad and crying tears.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
5: Drink water!
4: Flying like a bird. And being a Super Kid. Super Kid can stop the bad guys every time.
3: Um, I want...I want... a lollipop.
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
4: My family. I would change you all to unicorns. And I would change myself to a princess.
3: [looking at me like I'm an idiot] My clothes, and my diaper. [maternal note: she wasn't wearing a diaper]
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement? (explained as what are you most proud of)
3: Starfish. And my flag.
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
3: Giraffe! Because I love giraffes!
21. Where would you most like to live?
5: Home. I mean work!
4: In a whole house of stickers!!!
22. What is your most treasured possession?
5: [Throws nearest toy to the ground.] Nothing.
4: My unicorn.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
5: Hitting somebody.
4: Kick push and hit!
24. What is your favorite occupation?
5: Turning the lamp on and off.
4: Play with a unicorn.
3: Hurting myself!
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
5: Being a princess!
4: When I make a birthday card when it's my birthday.
3: My painting!
26. What do you most value in your friends?
5: Playing and dancing.
4: Having fun.
27. Who are your favorite writers? (explained as what are your favorite books)
5: "Cat in the Hat," "Jack and the Beanstalk," "Snow White"
4: "Calvin and Hobbes"
3: "Strega Nona" and "The Legend of Blue Bonnet." [which, coincidentally, are both written and illustrated by the same person, Tomie DePaola]
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
5: Stupendous Man! (from "Calvin and Hobbes")
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
31. What are your favorite names?
5: Elle, Ever, Emily, that's all!
32. What is it that you most dislike?
5: Boring games. [Looks at me wearily.]
4: Daddy being angry at me.
33. What is your greatest regret?
5: Talking out loud too much.
4: Hitting and kicking K--. [an old classmate]
3: Moles. [sighs and shakes head remorsefully]
34. How would you like to die?
4: Pushing, kicking, and fighting.
35. What is your motto?
5: Unicorns Unicorns Unicorns!
4: Talk to my teacher.
3: "Giraffe and a half and a rat in a hat."